Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

PRESENTING THE WONDERFUL, THE GREAT.... STORE IT CYCLE

In Design and Engineering this unit I learned about gear ratios, parts of a bicycle , potential energy, kinetic energy and calculating the surface area and volume of circles. The purpose of this action project is to create a bike that will benefit a certain user. I learned that bikes have gear settings that you can change depending on where you are biking. Mountain bikes are for riding on rocky roads and cruiser bikes are for leisure. For a homework assignment, I had to interview someone who biked often, and I chose to interview Kim Campos. I asked her if she could change anything about her bike what would it be, and she responded,"I would change the seat to be wider and cushioned for comfortability.” When designing a bike , I took this idea of making the seat wider into consideration. After finishing this project, I'm proud of how the bike came out. It‘s very sturdy and looks like an innovative design.

My user is a 15 year old girl named Malia, who travels 5 miles from her home to get to school.Malia's parents are going to buy her a bike because she works at the library and is going to have to do grocery shopping. She lives in Logan square and will ride on the 606 to get to school and when she gets home she will park her bike in the garage. Malia will need a bike that is comfortable, safe at night and can carry large books and grocery bags.

The Store It cycle is great and perfect for Malia because it provides comfortability,safety and storage.  I included 2 baskets, one on the back and one on the front. Both have buttons that make it close automatically and lock, which is good because our userneeds to carry books and groceries. I also included taillights and front lights in the middle of the handlebars, the front lights allow Malia to see where she is going at night, the taillights include turn signals allowing people to see her at night. Lastly, I added a wider and cushioned seat because she has to ride for a long time from school to library.She should believe in our design, because I created a design that would help and benefit her circumstances.She will gain potential energy as she is slowly riding up the hill on the 606, and when Malia rides down the hill that potential energy will transfer to kinetic because she is in motion.

Malia lives 5 miles away from school, she lives in Logan Square and travels on the 606. It takes around 30 minutes for her to get to school. To find how many miles a minute you do d/t, which is 5/30=.17 which is around 10 miles per hour. For our scale, we took the original sketch and converted that to 1inches=4inches. The wheel’s diameter is 26 inches, the radius is 13 inches and the circumference= 81.68 inches. The gear ratio is 26/12.
Rotations= distance/circumference
5/81.68=
614.455 rotations to get to school.


When trying to design a creative and innovative bike, I ran into some trouble. I overcame it by looking up different types of bikes and took the best ideas and tried to create a bike that combined off of those ideas. Sketching the idea was also difficult because it's challenging to draw something out rather than writing ideas down. I overcame this by continuing to draw out my design until the design was perfected. I built the finish product with cardboard and wooden stick by hot glueing the pieces together.


Below is a labeled sketch of the bike design:


LD,Sketch of bike,(2016)

Finished bike design:


LD,Bike Design.(2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment